#TodayInHistory – June 26
June 26 – Some important events on this day.
363 👉🏼 Roman Emperor Julian is killed during retreat from the Sassanid Empire. General Jovian is proclaimed Emperor by troops on the battlefield.
1284 👉🏼 According to the Lüneburg manuscript, a piper leads 130 children of Hamelin away. This story bacame a popular tales, still today.
✔️READ THE ARTICLE!
1498 👉🏼 Toothbrush invented in China using boar bristles.
1541 👉🏼 Francisco Pizarro, conqueror of the Incas, assassinated
1794 👉🏼 Battle of Fleurus: major victory by forces of the First French Republic under General Jean-Baptiste Jourdan over the Coalition Army (Great Britain, Hanover, Dutch Republic, and Habsburgs) first use of reconnaissance balloon.
Long before supersonic jet aircraft existed, the armies of the world often employed hot air balloons as a kind of air force. The first use of these sort of “observation balloons” to influence a battle came at the Battle of Fleurus in 1794, an engagement of the French Revolutionary Wars between France and a Coalition involving Hanover, Hapsburg Monarchy, Dutch Republic and Britain.
A major part of the French victory at Fleurus (which Col. Nicolas Stoult described as fifteen of the most desperate hours of fighting he’d ever witnessed) was the use of the observation balloon l’Entreprenant which constantly provided updates on the Austrian movements. The balloon was operated by the Aerostatic Corps, which was also the world’s first air force.
1857 👉🏼 The first 62 recipients are awarded the Victoria Cross for valour in the Crimean war by Queen Victoria
1870 👉🏼 Richard Wagner’s opera “Valkyrie”, second in his Ring Cycle premieres in Munich, featuring “Ride of the Valkyries”
1917 👉🏼 1st US troops arrive in France during World War I
1925 👉🏼 “The Gold Rush”, directed, starring and written by Charlie Chaplin, is released.
1945 👉🏼 United Nations Charter signed by 50 nations in San Francisco.
We the peoples of the United Nations determined
– to save succeeding generations from the scourge of war, which twice in our lifetime has brought untold sorrow to mankind, and
– to reaffirm faith in fundamental human rights, in the dignity and worth of the human person, in the equal rights of men and women and of nations large and small, and
– to establish conditions under which justice and respect for the obligations arising from treaties and other sources of international law can be maintained, and
– to promote social progress and better standards of life in larger freedom,
And for these ends
– to practice tolerance and live together in peace with one another as good neighbours, and
– to unite our strength to maintain international peace and security, and
– to ensure, by the acceptance of principles and the institution of methods, that armed force shall not be used, save in the common interest, and
– to employ international machinery for the promotion of the economic and social advancement of all peoples,
Have resolved to combine our efforts to accomplish these aims
– Accordingly, our respective Governments, through representatives assembled in the city of San Francisco, who have exhibited their full powers found to be in good and due form, have agreed to the present Charter of the United Nations and do hereby establish an international organization to be known as the United Nations.
1960 👉🏼 Madagascar (formerly Malagasy Rep) declares independence from France
1964 👉🏼 Moise Tsjombe forms government in Congo
1968 👉🏼 Iwo Jima & Bonin Islands returned to Japan by US.
In the United States this photograph has become one of the most significant and recognizable images of World War II.
Later, it became the only photograph to win the Pulitzer Prize for Photography in the same year as its publication.
The image was used by Felix de Weldon in 1954 to sculpt the Marine Corps War Memorial located adjacent to Arlington National Cemetery just outside Washington, D.C. The memorial is dedicated to all Marines who died for their country past and present.
1974 👉🏼 The Universal Product Code is scanned for the first time to sell a package of Wrigley’s chewing gum at the Marsh Supermarket in Troy, Ohio
2016 👉🏼 Panama Canal’s third set of locks opens for commercial traffic, doubling the Canal’s capacity at an estimated cost of $5.25 billion
2018 👉🏼 Polio outbreak confirmed in New Guinea, 18 years after it was declared free of the disease